ERS Plans provide retirement benefits for state employees and elected officials (ERS fund), law enforcement and custodial officers (LECOSRF), and judges (JRS 1 and 2). Every year ERS pays $1.8 billion in annuities to retirees, 96% of whom stay in Texas.
ERS manages an approximately $25 billion retirement trust on behalf of state employees and retirees who are the beneficiaries of the Trust. Investment returns continue to be the largest funding component of retirement benefits, accounting for two-thirds of the value of the ERS Trust.
Mission of the Investment Division
Acting on behalf of the Board of Trustees, under the direction of the Executive Director, and as fiduciaries of the Employees Retirement System of Texas, the mission of the investments division is to:
- Earn a return that will ensure the payments due to members of the retirement plans and their beneficiaries;
- Manage fund assets for the exclusive benefit of plan members;
- Assist the trustees to develop prudent investment policies defining investment objectives and strategies;
- Seek to maximize investment return while maintaining acceptable levels of risk;
- Reduce risk through diversification; and
- Efficiently manage the costs associated with the implementation of the investment program.
Day-to-day investment decisions are managed by ERS' professional investment staff within the policies, procedures, and risk management guidelines set by the ERS Board of Trustees.
View the ERS Investment Policy, which applies to the funds of the retirement plans (Fund) administered by the Employees Retirement System of Texas (ERS).