The following topics and activity related to ERS-administered benefits were covered during the August 29 ERS Board of Trustees meeting:
- The Board approved a change to the way administrative fees in the Texa$aver 401(k) / 457 Program are assessed on employees who make both traditional (pre-tax) and Roth (post-tax) contributions to their accounts. The change simplifies the fee structure and, for most accountholders, reduces their administrative fees.
- ERS staff presented plans to offer HealthSelect of Texas and Consumer Directed HealthSelect participants mental health care via online virtual visits, effective September 1, 2018. This type of virtual visit should be especially helpful in rural areas, where access to mental health providers can be limited.
- The Board approved the schedule for the 2019 trustee election. Voting for the seat will begin May 10, a few weeks later than in past trustee elections.
- The Board approved the 2019 premium rates for the Medicare Advantage plans, which will take effect January 1, 2019.
- The Board adopted amendments to the following ERS rules with no changes to the proposed text. (The August 1 issue of News about Your Benefits included information about the proposed amendments. In addition, you can always find rules, statutes and other regulations relating to ERS on our Statutes and Rules webpage. Proposed and adopted changes to ERS rules are also published throughout the year in the Texas Register.)
- Chapter 67: The rule has been updated to allow ERS to grant mediation rights in cases related to disability retirement and certain Texas Employees Group Benefits Program (GBP) plans, including disability insurance, the State of Texas Dental Choice PPO and dependent eligibility.
- Chapter 81: In response to changes by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services to Medicare identification numbers, ERS amended rules to clarify the process for enrolling in the HealthSelect Medicare Advantage preferred provider organization (MA PPO) and HealthSelect Medicare Rx prescription drug program.
- More detailed information about the August 29 joint meeting of the Board of Trustees and Investment Advisory Committee, including materials and videos, is available through the ERS website.