During this season of joy and thanksgiving, many of us spend our holiday time away from home visiting family and friends or vacationing somewhere we’ve always wanted to go. In the excitement of the holiday season, it is easy to forget that health issues can pop up anywhere and anytime to spoil your vacation. Fortunately, a few simple steps before you leave can help you prevent an unexpected medical issue from ruining your time away from home.
Travel checklist priority: health cards
Make these essential wellness items part of your travel supplies:
- health, dental and prescription ID cards (if you need replacement cards, you can print one off your plan’s website or call your plan to ask for one),
- phone numbers of primary care providers and specialists for you and your eligible dependents,
- enough prescription maintenance medication to last for your whole trip–plus a few extra days,
- any necessary over-the-counter medications and
- healthy snacks.
HealthSelect of Texas®, Consumer Directed HealthSelectSM or HealthSelect Out-of-StateSM participants
Before you leave town, be sure to review your options for care
if you get sick or need emergency care while away. Remember to choose in-network providers, and understand the difference between care facilities, including urgent care clinics and freestanding emergency rooms.
For more tips and things to consider before your trip, visit HealthSelect’s Making Insurance Work for You
Medical virtual visits
When you need it most, virtual visits can get you care fast. If you are enrolled in HealthSelect of Texas, Consumer Directed HealthSelect or HealthSelect Out-of-State, you and your eligible dependents can consult a doctor online for your urgent health care needs 24 hours a day, seven days a week, including weekends and holidays. For more information, go to the virtual visits webpage.
Travel care reminders for HMO members
- If you are enrolled in Community First Health Plans and need urgent care while you are traveling outside of the service area, contact First Health at (800) 226-5116 to locate a provider. You may also consult the health plan’s FAQs: What emergency, after hours and urgent care services are available?
- If you are enrolled in the Scott and White Health Plan and you are ill or injured, call the Nurse Advice Line toll-free at (877) 505-7947. The advice line is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Make your vacation even more relaxing. Take your time, plan ahead for possible health emergencies and travel wisely this holiday season.