Texas Tuition Promise Fund®–the state’s prepaid tuition plan
March 7, 2018
Revised March 9, 2018
It’s never too early to start planning for your child’s college education. The State of Texas makes it easier for parents to do so through the Texas Tuition Promise Fund® administered by the Texas Comptroller’s office.
The Plan allows families to lock in the cost of future tuition and school-wide required fees at Texas public colleges and universities based on current tuition prices. Tuition units purchased through the plan may be used for all or part of these costs.
The Plan offers several advantages including:
- accepted at all Texas public colleges and universities
- can be used at Texas private and out-of-state colleges and universities and career schools where tuition and fees are not locked in, but the “Transfer Value” can be applied towards the costs of tuition and required fees. Transfer Value is the lesser of (1) the costs the unit would cover at a public in-state college or (2) the price you paid for the unit, plus or minus the Plan’s net investment earnings or losses on that amount.
- flexible payment options to fit any budget
- withdrawals are tax free when used for tuition and school-wide required fees
- establish an account by paying $25 administrative fee and purchasing at least one tuition unit of any type
Enrollment begins each September 1 and ends February 28 (29 in leap years). Enrollment is extended through July 31 for newborns and infants younger than 12 months.
for more information or call (800) 445- 4723, Option #5.
Purchasers should carefully consider the risks, administrative fees, service and other charges and expenses associated with the contracts, including Plan termination and decreased transfer or refund value. The Plan Description and Master Agreement contains this and other information about the Plan and
may be obtained by visiting the website or calling the 800 number above. Purchasers should read these documents carefully before purchasing a contract. Participation in the Texas Tuition Promise Fund does not guarantee admission to or graduation from any college or university. Comments or complaints may be forwarded to the Prepaid Higher Education Tuition Program, Office of the Comptroller of Public Accounts, P.O. Box 13407, Austin, Texas 78711-3407, or by calling: (512) 936-2064.