Learn how to vote for the candidate who best represents you.
State employees have valuable benefits, and the ERS Board of Trustees works to ensure they remain valuable and competitive.
One way to ensure you are represented in benefit discussions is to vote in the next Board of Trustees election. This year, you have an opportunity to vote for a state agency employee to fill a seat on the Board. The seat currently held by Doug Danzeiser, who works for the Texas Department of Insurance, expires August 31, 2019.
The ERS Board of Trustees makes key decisions regarding member benefits, including the selection of third-party administrators, designing plans to support your health care and pharmacy benefit needs and authorizing new programs such as vision insurance. They also oversee the retirement trust funds, which invest state, agency and member pension contributions and the Texa$averSM
401(k) / 457 Program.
Three Board members are appointed: one each by the Governor, the Speaker of the Texas House of Representatives, and the Chief Justice of the Texas Supreme Court. Three seats are elected by ERS members and retirees. Both appointed and elected members serve staggered six-year terms with the terms of appointees expiring on August 31 of even-numbered years and those of elected members in odd-numbered years.
This year, ERS is holding the Board of Trustees election about a month later than in the past, starting in early May. Your participation in the election is important. Here are a few ways you can get involved:
- Become a candidate.
- Only active State of Texas agency employees who are contributing to the ERS Retirement Trust can run. In this year’s election, employees of Health and Human Services (including the Department of State Health Services) and the Department of Public Safety are not able to run because those entities already have representation on the Board. However, those employees can nominate a candidate and, of course, vote in the election.
- Submit a Nomination Petition Form and Questionnaire by April 1, 2019.
- Support a candidate.
- Sign a Nomination Petition Form for your candidate in March.
- Get to know the candidates
- Watch the candidate forum May 9.
- Read the candidates’ profiles—in their own words—published by ERS during the five-week election.
- And, of course, vote for the candidate who best represents you as a state employee.
- Paper and electronic voting will begin May 10 and run through June 14, 2019.
More information will be available soon. Check for updates in the next edition of News About Your Benefits or on the ERS Trustees Election and Appointments