Who is eligible for Dependent Life?
You can apply to enroll eligible dependents in Dependent Term Life insurance. Your spouse and children must meet GBP dependent eligibility requirements to be added to coverage.
Children can get "double coverage" if they are enrolled in Dependent Term Life Insurance under two parents eligible for the GBP. However, your child cannot get Dependent Term Life coverage if he or she is a State of Texas employee enrolled in the GBP.
Example of coverage begin dates for dependents
|Existing spouse and children
||Your first day of employment if you enroll your dependent when you are first hired. If you decide to enroll your dependent during Summer Enrollment of after a Qualifying Life Event, coverage begins first day of the month following EOI approval for coverage.
|Newborn natural children
||The date your child is born.
|Newly adopted children
||The date the child is placed with you.
|Newly acquired or newly eligible spouse and children
||The first day of the month following the date the individual becomes an eligible dependent.
The following persons are not eligible dependents for Dependent Term Life:
- Any person who is enrolled in Basic Term Life or Optional Term Life insurance as a:
- full-time active employee,
- part-time active employee or
- Any person approved for Extended Life Insurance Benefits or
- Any person who has applied for an individual life insurance policy with Fort Dearborn Life within 31 days of termination of State of Texas employment.