Who is eligible for Dependent Life?
You can enroll eligible dependents in Dependent Term Life insurance. Spouse and children must meet GBP eligibility requirements to be added to coverage.
A child may be enrolled in Dependent Term Life Insurance under two parents eligible for the GBP (having so-called "double coverage"), but a member may not have coverage as both an employee and a dependent.
Coverage begin dates for dependents
|Existing spouse and children
||Your first day of employment.
|Newborn natural children
||The date your child is born.
|Newly adopted children
||The date the child is placed with you.
|Newly acquired or newly eligible spouse and children
||The first day of the month following the date the individual becomes an eligible dependent.
The following persons are not eligible dependents for Dependent Term Life:
- Any person who is enrolled in Basic Term Life or Optional Term Life insurance as a:
- full-time active employee,
- part-time active employee, or
- Any person approved for Extended Life Insurance Benefits, or
- Any person who has applied for an individual life insurance policy with FDL within 31 days of termination of State of Texas employment.