This is a continuous job announcement and these are temp-to-hire positions. As a temp-to-hire you will initially be employed by a temporary staffing agency to fulfill a work assignment at ERS.
The temporary assignment will start on Monday, February 13th, 2023 and candidates selected must be available for onboarding.
To be considered for one of these temp-to-hire positions, send your resume as a Word document with subject line "ERS Contact Center" to one of the following staffing agencies:
Who We Are:
The Employees Retirement System of Texas administers the benefits for State of Texas employees, retirees, and some employees of higher education institutions. These benefits, funded by participating members and the state, are an investment in the state workforce. More than 541,500 people rely on these benefits daily!
The ERS Contact Center is the front line in supporting our members as they navigate day to day decisions related to their benefits. We strive to provide supportive education and guidance to our members and their families as they move through all stages of life and career.
Who Are You:
We our looking for Benefits Counselors to work in our Contact Center providing exemplary insurance and retirement benefit education, problem solving, and guidance to our members over the phone.
To be successful as a Benefits Counselor, you will have a passion for serving people and be able to work both independently and collaboratively as a part of a supportive team.
Successful candidates will:
- Have a strong sense of self awareness
- Be adaptable
- Be problem solvers
- Have a proven track record of good judgement and decision making at work
- Be hungry for feedback and have a professional approach to implementing it
- Be able to successfully complete ERS Benefit Counselor training program
- Be interested in personal and professional growth
Starting Salary: $4,100 / month
Benefits Value: $1,428+ / month
- Defined Retirement Benefit Plan
- Optional 401(k) and 457 accounts
- Medical Insurance
- Optional Benefits such as dental, vision, and life insurance
- 8 hours sick leave per month
- 8 hours vacation per month with potential to earn more with longevity
- Additional PTO earning opportunities
- EAP services
As an ERS employee, Benefit Counselors receive a total competitive benefit package valued at $5,528 / month.In addition to the above compensation and benefits package, the hours of operation in the ERS Contact Center are 7:30 am – 5:30 pm Monday through Friday. This means no weekends or shift work! ERS closes for 9 holidays throughout the year, including Thanksgiving Day and the day after, as well as Christmas Eve through the Day after Christmas.
ERS employees receive free parking in the area, and we are in walking distance of many different bus routes, other public transportation options, different restaurants, and downtown Austin events and venues.The ERS Contact Center is devoted to providing ongoing career learning and skill development for its Benefit Counselors.
What you will do:
As a Benefits Counselor in our Contact Center, you will work in a fast-paced environment answering highly complex incoming inquiries through telephone calls and email from Texas state employees and retirees with questions regarding health, dental, and life insurance benefits, retirement eligibility, and retirement or benefits problem resolution issues. Benefits Counselors educate employees and retirees and promote other ERS services that support members. Work is performed under the supervision of the Customer Service Supervisor with moderate latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
- Efficiently answers questions, educates, and counsels ERS members regarding state employee benefits programs, including insurance, retirement, online tools, and any ERS related matters.
- Communicates tactfully and provides information in a clear and concise manner. Manages communication style to match customers with various levels of knowledge and experience.
- Uses sound decision-making and judgment skills and appropriately applies and interprets existing law, pending legislation, rules, policies and procedures.
- Promotes ERS related tools, services, and programs.
- Provides exceptional service as defined by customer service guidelines.
- Assists customer service leadership with handling moderately complex member inquiries.
- Provides moderate training support to other customer service personnel.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Minimum Qualifications
- Graduation from an accredited senior high school or equivalent, plus 60 semester hours of college credit. Each year of related work experience over the minimum requirement may be substituted for one year (30 semester hours) of college credit.
- Three (3) years customer service experience identifying and resolving issues one on one with customers.
- Two (2) years of experience communicating complex laws and rules to a wide variety of customers.
- One (1) year of qualifying experience with Windows based computer software, including Microsoft Office and Internet browsers.
- Experience in human resources related field including health insurance, life insurance, disability insurance, retirement plans or other employee benefits.
- Professional development or college coursework from an accredited college in human resources, insurance, retirement plans or other employee benefits.
Successful completion of the ERS Benefit Counselor training program.
Work is performed in an office environment. This position may require access to privileged, confidential, or sensitive data. ERS will conduct either a TXDPS or FBI criminal history check on all new hires. For more information about this policy inquires can be made to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) Codes
There is no Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) code for this job classification. Please contact Human Resources at email@example.com with questions or for additional information.
Additional Military Crosswalk information specific to this posting can be accessed at the State Auditor’s office link below. Compare the Class Number in the ERS job posting to the Class Code on the State Auditor’s Office listing of job descriptions. The Military Crosswalk appears under Occupational Category for each job description. https://hr.sao.texas.gov/CompensationSystem/JobDescriptions