The Employees Retirement System (ERS) supports state employees who have dedicated their career to supporting Texas! The Budget team in our Finance Division is seeking an experienced Budget Analyst who takes initiative to prevent and solve problems. The Budget Analyst performs highly complex to advanced budget preparation and analysis work. Work involves preparing, reviewing, and analyzing budgets; and monitoring budgets. The ideal candidate should possess strong analytical skills, strong work ethic, as well as the ability to adapt to change.
Essential Functions includes, but is not limited to
- Prepares or coordinates the preparation of operating budgets and budget schedules.
- Prepares budget transfers, as needed, to reflect operational adjustments approved by Division, Finance and Executive management.
- Develops, maintains and utilizes reports and dashboards in Anaplan to provide internal customers and agency management budget status and forecast information.
- Drafts, reviews and updates agency operating budget policies and procedures.
- Collects, analyzes and provides data and recommendations that support alternative solutions to budget issues.
- Reviews budget reports for accuracy.
- Examines operating budgets to determine that expenditures are accurately and appropriately allocated to multiple funding sources, including assistance with administration and maintenance of the Clarity time allocation system.
- Respond timely and appropriately to agency budgetary inquires.
- Assists divisions with appropriate account codes to minimize requisition and payment issues.
- Participates in developing, evaluating and reporting performance and workload measures.
- Gathers information for accurate and timely submission of legislative appropriations data and fiscal notes.
- Communicates effectively and respectfully with co-workers and customers.
- Develops, maintains, and utilizes complex spreadsheets in MS Excel to disseminate data and provide reports to internal customers and agency management.
- Attends work regularly in accordance with agency leave and attendance policies.
- Complies with all applicable agency policies and procedures, including safety and standards of conduct.
As a Budget Analyst IV, you will do the following in addition to the above responsibilities:
- Advises divisions on areas that may require action to stay within budget.
- Prepare budgetary and management reports.
Required Minimum Qualifications
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major course work in accounting, finance, business or public administration, or a related field. Each year of related experience may be substituted for one year (30 semester ours) of required college credit.
- Two (2) – three (3) years of experience (depending on classification level) in agency-wide budget preparation, financial analysis, accounting or related financial professional work for a governmental entity.
- Two (2) – three (3) years of experience (depending on classification level) developing MS Excel spreadsheets using advanced formulas and pivot tables/charts.
- Familiarity with PeopleSoft or similar accounting software.
- Experiences with government accounting and budget practices.
- Experience with Crystal Reports.
- Experience with automated budget systems.
- Experience with financial (budget, forecasting, accounting) reporting software.
- Experience with cost allocation formulation and methodologies.
: All applications must contain complete job histories, which includes job title, dates of employment, name of employer, supervisor's name and phone number and a description of duties performed. If this information is not submitted, your application may be rejected because it is incomplete. Resumes do not take the place of this required information.
Work is performed in an office environment. This position may require overtime during peak periods. Flexibility in work hours, including overtime and/or extended hours, maybe required for this position as needed. This position may require access to privileged, confidential, or sensitive data. ERS will conduct either a TXDPS or FBI criminal history check on all new hires. For more information about this policy inquiries can be made to email@example.com