Who We Are
The Employees Retirement System of Texas (ERS) supports state employees who have dedicated their careers to supporting Texas. Our mission is to offer competitive benefits to enhance the lives of our members. The Investment Division supports the ERS mission by achieving optimal investment returns at a prudent level of risk using a long-term perspective and a commitment to continuous improvement in our knowledge and skills. We are located in Downtown Austin, east of the University of Texas and just west of the State Capitol. We offer a competitive compensation package, 401(k) and 457 retirement plans, complete healthcare benefits, and free parking.
What You Will Do
Our Investments Division is seeking a Hedge Fund Analyst to join our Hedge Fund team. In this role, you will have an opportunity to perform hedge fund investment due diligence and analysis. The Hedge Fund team oversees approximately $1.5 billion in assets. Expectations are for this amount to continually grow through working with internal teams along with new initiatives (i.e. Opportunistic Credit). Work includes the ongoing evaluation, and due diligence on hedge fund portfolio(s) along with hedge fund implementation in other asset classes. Provides periodic updates of managers’ strategy, business, risk profile and positioning changes to the hedge fund team and investment staff. The ideal candidate has a natural curiosity and passion for investment research and a flexible, but independent thought process for consistent results.
Essential Functions includes, but is not limited to
- Perform analytical research to support the hedge fund team and identify investment opportunities to develop theses and recommendations.
- Communicate directly with hedge fund managers and their senior investment staff to help assess strategy strengths, weaknesses and opportunities.
- Communicate strategy and investment recommendations through written and/or oral reports and presentations.
- Follow general and ongoing economic, regulatory, and political developments as well as public equity and debt markets globally.
- Maintain documentation and analysis supporting investment recommendations.
- Upload pertinent information into hedge fund database and portfolio management system (i.e. Backstop Solutions).
- Maintain a good working relationship with other investment staff and ERS employees.
- Maintain a professional relationship with vendors, General Partners, and other Limited Partners.
- Perform ad-hoc performance analysis and risk assessment on prospective investments.
- Comply with the CFA Institute Code of Ethics and Standards of Professional Conduct.
- Comply with ethics standards and restrictions on personal investment activities set forth in the ERS Investment Policy.
- Attend work regularly in accordance with agency leave and attendance policies.
- Comply with all applicable agency policies and procedures, including safety and standards of conduct.
- Performs ad hoc and special projects, and other duties as assigned.
As a Hedge Fund Analyst III, you may be responsible for the following in addition to the above responsibilities:
- Assist senior staff on special projects.
- Travel to conferences to source new opportunities and speak with other hedge fund allocators.
Required Minimum Qualifications
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major course work in finance, business administration, economics or a related field. (Transcripts may be requested from finalist)
- Two (2) to three (3) years (depending on classification) of investment experience, including relevant due diligence activities.
- Two (2) years of experience using Bloomberg, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and various statistical programs.
- Master’s degree in business, finance, economics, or statistics.
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designation or at a minimum completion of CFA Level I. Verification will be required.
- Two (2) years of experience with hedge fund portfolio design, construction, due diligence, allocation, implementation and monitoring.
- Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst (CAIA) designation or at a minimum completion of the first part. Verification will be required.
- Knowledge of or skilled in Backstop Solutions.
: All applications must contain complete job histories, which includes job title, dates of employment, name of employer, supervisor's name and phone number and a description of duties performed. If this information is not submitted, your application may be rejected because it is incomplete. Resumes do not take the place of this required information.
Work is performed in an office environment. This position requires travel up to 10% of time. This position may require access to privileged, confidential, or sensitive data. ERS will conduct either a TXDPS or FBI criminal history check on all new hires. For more information about this policy inquiries can be made to firstname.lastname@example.org
Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) Codes
There are no equivalent Military Occupational Specialty Codes related to this position. Please contact Human Resources at email@example.com with questions or for additional information.