This year, you will have the opportunity to vote for a representative to serve on the ERS Board of Trustees. The Board helps ERS fulfill its mission of offering competitive benefits to enhance the lives of our members. Of the Board’s six members, three are elected by ERS members and retirees. The other three are appointed—one each by the Governor, Speaker of the Texas House of Representatives and Chief Justice of the Texas Supreme Court—and confirmed by the Texas Senate.
Appointments are made in even-numbered years. Both appointed and elected trustees serve staggered six-year
In late spring 2019, state employees, retirees and former employees who still have retirement accounts with ERS will elect one state agency employee to fill the seat currently held by Doug Danzeiser, who works for the Texas Department of Insurance. Danzeiser’s term expires August 31, 2019.
Why should I vote?
The Board of Trustees plays an important role in managing valuable benefits for State of Texas employees and retirees. The Board oversees the ERS Retirement Trust Fund, making decisions about how ERS invests the fund.
The Board also has oversight of the Texas Employees Group Benefits Program (GBP) and other benefits, such as
401(k) / 457 Program, for state agencies and higher education employees and retirees. Retirement and health benefits are intended to enhance the lives of State of Texas employees and retirees, and help recruit and retain qualified people to serve the state .
ERS will mail information about the candidates along with paper ballots in May 2019. Voting will begin May 10, 2019 via:
- mailed paper ballot
- direct email and
- electronically, through a personalized email link that will be sent on or around May 10. (This option is available to eligible members and retirees with an updated and active email on file with ERS.)
Who can run?
Only active State of Texas agency employees who are contributing to the ERS Retirement Trust can run.
: Employees of Health and Human Services Enterprise and Department of Public Safety cannot run in this year’s election because they already have representation on the board.
Who can vote?
Members of the State of Texas Retirement program—including active employees who contribute to the Retirement Trust Fund, former employees who still have State of Texas Retirement accounts and retirees who receive annuities from ERS—can vote in trustee elections.
Important datess in the 2019 election:
- Friday, March 1: ERS distributed nominating petitions.
- Monday, April 1: The nomination period closes.
- Thursday, April 18: ERS certifies candidates and draws for ballot order.
- Thursday, May 9: ERS conducts the candidate forum.
- Friday, May 10: Voting begins.
- Friday, June 14: Voting ends.
- Thursday, July 11: ERS certifies the election results.
- September 1: The trustee’s term begins.
Visit the ERS Trustees Election and Appointments
webpage for more details and important election updates.