ERS posted the following information on its website and will update it as needed. We encourage you to check our website regularly.
COVID-19 and your health plan
The Employees Retirement System of Texas is working with its health plan administrators, state leadership and other state agencies to closely monitor the impact of COVID-19 (coronavirus). Together, we can assist State of Texas employees and retirees and their families who may be affected by the virus. All Texas Employees Group Benefits Program (GBP) health plans are equipped to help participants understand, prevent and, if needed, treat the virus.
At this time, all GBP medical plans have no out-of-pocket costs for physician-ordered COVID-19 testing at in-network labs, for those who meet federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines. Your health plan also has trained staff who can answer questions about the virus and COVID-19.
To help avoid contracting the virus and prevent its spreading in your community, we encourage you to know and follow recommendations by the Texas Department of State Health Services and the CDC. Take common-sense measures like washing your hands frequently; covering coughs and sneezes with a single-use tissue or your elbow; avoiding touching your face; and keeping a comfortable distance from others when possible.
Virtual visits and telemedicine
If you think you have been exposed to coronavirus or have symptoms–fever, cough and shortness of breath–please talk with your health care provider about recommended testing and treatment. Virtual visits allow you to see a licensed doctor through your smartphone or computer, with providers such as Doctor on Demand and MD Live. Many GBP health plans offer virtual visits at no cost to participants or at a lower cost than a typical office visit.
Today, many health providers now offer (or may soon offer) telemedicine visits as an alternative to going to the doctor’s office. A telemedicine visit is covered by your GBP health plan, and may be referred to as an e-visit, video visit or another name established by your health provider. Your health provider will initiate a telemedicine visit and you may have to pay a copay, deductible or coinsurance.
Find more information about virtual or telemedicine visits in your health plan below. The telemedicine cost is subject to change.
HealthSelect of Texas®, HealthSelectSM Secondary and HealthSelectSM Out-of-State (administered by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas)
Consumer Directed HealthSelectSM (administered by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas)
- Virtual visit–subject to deductible and coinsurance; lower cost than a typical office visit
- Telemedicine visit–subject to deductible and coinsurance
Scott and White Health Plan
The situation has many people feeling anxious and scared. As a GBP participant, you have the following emotional support and mental health benefits at this time.
- Optum has opened its Emotional Support Help Line–staffed by mental health professionals–to anyone who may be experiencing fear or stress because of COVID-19. Call (866) 342-6892 (TTY: 711), free of charge, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. This help line is available to anyone, so you can share it with family and friends. Caring professionals may also connect callers to additional resources.
- HealthSelect of Texas, HealthSelect Secondary, HealthSelect Out-of-State and Consumer Directed HealthSelect (administered by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas) provides you with options for mental health care through Magellan Health. Magellan has opened its crisis help line at (800) 442-4093 (TTY: 711). Mental health virtual visits can also be scheduled with Doctor on Demand at the same out-of-pocket cost as an office visit.
- Scott and White Health Plan–Call (800) 321-7947 (TTY: 711) for more information on mental health benefits and providers. Prior authorizations and copays apply.
- Community First Health Plans–Call (210) 358-6100 (TTY: 711), log into the member portal or review the plan website and FAQs for more information.
For information about your coverage and how to appropriately access covered health services, please contact your specific plan as shown below.
HealthSelect of Texas, HealthSelect Secondary, HealthSelect Out-of-State and Consumer Directed Health Select (administered by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas)
Scott and White Health Plan
Community First Health Plans
Prescription drug plans
All GBP prescription drug programs have taken action to ensure you have the support and resources you need. Early-fill programs are in place to help you at this time.
HealthSelectSM Prescription Drug Program (administered by OptumRx and serving HealthSelect of Texas, HealthSelect Out-of-State and Consumer Directed HealthSelect)
- (855) 828-9834 (TTY:711)
- You can request an early refill at the pharmacy (or through mail order) as long as you have refills available.
Scott and White Health Plan and Community First Health Plans have early-refill provisions upon request. Call the number on the back of your ID card for more information about these plans.