Participants can save money and earn rewards on certain medical services and procedures
If you are a HealthSelect of Texas®
Out-of-State or Consumer Directed HealthSelectSM
participant, you can now take advantage of HealthSelectShoppERSSM
HealthSelectShoppERS is a health care shopping and savings program that allows you to:
- compare costs for many health care services and procedures,
- estimate your out-of-pocket costs and
- earn incentives for shopping for certain medical services and procedures.
With HealthSelectShoppERS, when you and your eligible dependents choose lower-cost options for medical services, you can earn up to $500 in TexFlex health care flexible spending account (FSA) rewards each plan year.
Medicare primary participants, COBRA members, HealthSelectSM Secondary participants and retirees are not eligible for the HealthSelectShoppERS program.
Why are ERS and BCBSTX offering HealthSelectShoppERS?
In addition to earning HealthSelectShoppERS rewards, comparison shopping for medical services and procedures can help you make the most of your benefits and save money on health care. It also helps the HealthSelect plans save money, which makes it easier for the State of Texas to continue to offer employee and retiree health benefits and keep members’ costs—like copays, coinsurance and monthly premiums—low. Comparison shopping is one way you can support the state’s efforts to provide competitive health benefits to state employees, retirees and their families.
How does it work?
– After your primary care provider (PCP) or specialist recommends a HealthSelectShoppERS-eligible medical procedure or service, you can:
- Log in to Blue Access for Members at www.healthselectoftexas.com, click on the “Doctors and Hospitals” tab, and then the “Find a Doctor or Hospital” link.
- In Provider Finder, type in the name of your procedure to search; or select “Cost Estimates” and then “All Rewarded Procedures.”
- Compare the health care providers (facilities) that perform the procedure and select a lower-cost, quality provider that qualifies for a HealthSelectShoppERS reward.
You also have the option of calling a Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas (BCBSTX) Personal Health Assistant to shop and compare costs for medical services over the phone, if you prefer. You can reach a BCBSTX Personal Health Assistant toll-free at (800) 252-8039 Monday–Friday, 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. and Saturday, 7 a.m. - 3 p.m. CT.
Step 2 - Have the procedure at the HealthSelectShoppERS-eligible facility. Remember, a referral or prior authorization may be required for your procedure. To confirm referral and prior authorization requirements, contact a BCBSTX Personal Health Assistant.
Step 3 – When your medical service or procedure is complete, the provider will submit the claim to BCBSTX. Once BCBSTX processes the claim (usually within 30-45 days), and as long as you are still eligible, ERS will deposit your reward into your TexFlex health care flexible spending account (FSA). If you are enrolled in Consumer Directed HealthSelect, the incentive will go to your limited-purpose FSA. If you do not have a TexFlex health care FSA or limited-purpose FSA account, ERS will open one for you.
You and/or your enrolled dependents may be eligible for an incentive if you are actively employed (not retired):
- when you shop for the service or procedure,
- when you get the service or procedure,
- when BCBSTX processes the claim and
- when ERS receives the reward amount for processing.
If you aren’t eligible at any point in the process, you and/or your enrolled dependents will not earn an incentive. Depending on the time between shopping and getting care, the entire process could take months.
Frequently Asked Questions and resources can be found on the www.healthselectoftexas.com
. There is additional information on the HealthSelectShoppERS page: https://healthselect.bcbstx.com/content/medical-benefits/healthselectshoppers
You can also call a BCBSTX Personal Health Assistant toll-free at (800) 252-8039, Monday–Friday, 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. and Saturday, 7 a.m. - 3 p.m. CT.