The Employees Retirement System (ERS) supports state employees who have dedicated their career to supporting Texas! The Operations Support Division is seeking an experienced Administrative Assistant to perform complex administrative and mail operations work. Tasks involve creating and maintaining documents using Word and Excel, and working extensively with email and coordinating calendar events for section. The Administrative Assistant also serves as back-up for mailroom functions and agency courier services. Works under the general direction of the Operations Services Supervisor with moderate latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment. The ideal candidate is someone with a working knowledge of the Pitney Bowes Postage Meter using SendSuite Express software.
Essential Functions includes, but is not limited to
- Opens, sorts, date stamps, and distributes incoming mail, including remittances, to appropriate divisions in the agency.
- Assists in processing outgoing mail services for ERS: picks up and delivers mail to the U.S. Post Office and performs mail runs within the agency.
- Acts as courier and driver for agency including making deposits at the Comptroller of Public Accounts; also transports staff and materials to various meetings and events.
- Operates the Neopost inserter for annuitant payouts and single/multiple insert jobs.
- Processes mass mail outs and mail requiring special handling (warrants, express mail and hand delivery).
- Performs special services such as arranging rooms for meetings, moving office furniture, equipment and supplies.
- Inspects and accepts freight deliveries.
- Operate scales, laminator, folder, postage machine, cutter, drill, spiral binder, and strapper.
- Tracks lost mail in both the U.S. mail and interagency mail systems and keep customers informed on the current status.
- Distributes ERS publications; coordinate with other departments and state agencies and institutions of higher education to ensure materials reach customers.
- May explain Operations Support policies and procedures including mail regulations to ERS staff.
Required Minimum Qualifications
Your application for employment must reflect how you meet each of the following minimum qualifications:
- Graduation for an accredited senior high school or equivalent, plus 60 semester hours of college credit. Each year of related experience above the minimum required may be substituted for one year (30 semester hours) of required college credit.
- Three (3) years’ experience performing office practices and administrative procedures in a public or private agency.
- Two (2) years’ experience with Microsoft Excel creating spreadsheets; Microsoft Word formatting letters and documents; and Microsoft Outlook (or similar email software) performing email functions.
Your application for employment should reflect how you meet the following preferred qualifications:
- Course work or training in office administration and/or personal computers.
- One (1) year mail room experience.
- Experience using mailroom equipment (scales, labelers, inserters, form flow machines and other mailing equipment).
- Experience maintaining files and records.
- Experience serving as a courier, handling large volumes of mail, and making deliveries.
: All applications must contain complete job histories, which includes job title, dates of employment, name of employer, supervisor's name and phone number and a description of duties performed. If this information is not submitted, your application may be rejected because it is incomplete. Resumes do not take the place of this required information.
Special Requirements/Work Environment:
Work hours may be outside normal business hours. Working on-call, overtime and/or weekend work could be required. Must have a good driving record and hold and maintain a valid Texas Driver’s License. Must be able to lift boxes, equipment, or furniture weighing up to 50 pounds.
Work is performed in a warehouse/maintenance/office environment. Work includes operation of postage machine, inserter and folder. An agency shirt serves as the uniform. This position may require access to privileged, confidential, or sensitive data. This position may require access to privileged, confidential, or sensitive data. ERS will conduct either a TXDPS or FBI criminal history check on all new hires. For more information about this policy inquiries can be made to firstname.lastname@example.org
Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) Codes
Veterans, Reservists or Guardsmen with experience in the Military Occupational Specialty (https://hr.sao.texas.gov/Compensation/MilitaryCrosswalk/MOSC_AdministrativeSupport.pdf) along with the minimum qualifications listed above may meet the minimum requirements and are highly encouraged to apply. Please contact Human Resources at email@example.com
with questions or for additional information.