It's okay to need help: Mental Health Awareness Month
If you struggle with thoughts or feelings that make it harder to get through your day, you’re not alone. About half of the people in the U.S. will suffer from a mental health issue at some point in their lives, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Signs and symptoms of mental health conditions
If you have ever thought about seeking treatment for yourself or a dependent but weren’t sure if you needed to, here are a few signs and symptoms of mental health conditions.
- Not sleeping well. Anxiety and stress can affect our ability to sleep.
- Changes in appetite. Stress eating or lack of hunger can also be signs of acute or chronic stress.
- Losing desire to do the things that give you joy. Withdrawing from things you normally enjoy could be a symptom of an underlying mental health condition.
- Excessively drinking alcohol or using medications to numb your emotions. This is a strong indicator that you could benefit from addressing the root cause of the desire for alcohol or drug consumption.
- Relationship challenges. If you find you are consistently unable to communicate effectively and are having trouble with your relationships, you can benefit from reaching out to a professional to address these challenges.
Take charge of your mental health
The good news is there’s help for you whatever your situation. Your journey to mental health wellness starts with you reaching out for the support you need.
Your HealthSelectSM medical plan, including Consumer Directed HealthSelectSM, covers mental health care. You and your covered dependents have access to a variety of mental health resources such as care management clinicians, mental health Virtual Visits and office visits.
- Mental health Virtual Visits. Consult with a licensed mental health professional online any day of the week. Mental health Virtual Visits are video conference appointments through either Doctor On Demand® or MDLIVE®. You must make appointments in advance. Appointments are typically available within 5-7 days on average, but could take up to two weeks. If you are enrolled in HealthSelect of Texas®, HealthSelectSM Out-of-State or HealthSelectSM Secondary, mental health Virtual Visits through Doctor On Demand and MDLIVE are covered at 100%. If you are enrolled in Consumer Directed HealthSelectSM, you must pay 20% coinsurance after your annual deductible is met.
- Care management. HealthSelect’s care management program gives you access to a team of dedicated medical and mental health clinicians who can help you with all types of health concerns. Mental health clinicians are available by phone to provide extra support and guidance for substance use issues, anger management, anxiety, depression, stress, domestic violence, grief and post-traumatic stress disorder. Care management is available to you at no out-of-pocket cost.
- Well onTarget®. The Well onTarget portal has tools and resources to help you with both your physical and mental health. Trackers and self-management programs are tools that can help you cope with many common stressors. Connect with a wellness coach for more personalized guidance. You can access Well onTarget through Blue Access for MembersSM or download the AlwaysOn Wellness app on compatible Android and Apple devices.
If you have a life-threatening emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room.
Remember, it’s okay to need help. A mental health expert can offer the care you need to help you start your journey to mental health wellness.