What to know about the negotiation between Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas and Ascension Seton
January 10, 2023
Provider contract negotiations are a normal part of health plan operations.
You might have heard that Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas (BCBSTX) and Ascension Seton in the Hill Country and central Texas are currently renegotiating the provider contract for BCBSTX health plans.
Following is important information about the negotiation.
- Contract negotiations like this are a regular part of any health plan’s normal operations. As the third-party administrator (TPA) of the HealthSelect of Texas® health plans, BCBSTX manages the HealthSelectSM provider network and regularly negotiates provider contracts on the plan’s behalf.
- BCBSTX’s current contract with Ascension Seton facilities (like hospitals and outpatient surgery centers) will expire on Jan. 31, 2023. The contract does not affect Ascension Seton physicians, only its facilities. In the normal course of operations, the two organizations are negotiating a new contract.
- ERS is confident BCBSTX and Ascension Seton will sign a new contract by the Jan. 31 deadline, and Ascension Seton will continue to be part of the HealthSelect provider network.
- ERS is regularly in touch with BCBSTX and closely monitoring the negotiations. We will inform HealthSelect participants of any important developments.
- BCBSTX has created a website with more information on the negotiation with Ascension Seton.