The annual benefits enrollment period for Medicare-eligible retirees in the Texas Employees Group Benefits Program (GBP) is Monday, October 26 through Friday, November 13
. You may make changes to health, dental, vision and life insurance coverage for yourself and your eligible dependents during this period. All changes are effective January 1, 2021.
What’s new for Plan Year 2021
- UnitedHealthcare® will become the insurer for the HealthSelectSM Medicare Advantage Plan preferred provider organization (MA PPO). Coverage for participants will not be reduced, but those who pay a monthly premium will pay less. See details below, or view UnitedHealthcare will be the insurer for HealthSelect Medicare Advantage starting January 2021.
- As of September 1, GBP health plan participants who use electronic cigarettes or vaping products must certify as tobacco users. If you or a covered dependent uses these products and you haven’t updated your tobacco-use status, you should do so by logging in to your ERS OnLine account or by calling ERS at (866) 399-6908 (TTY:711).
Starting January 1, 2021, the KelseyCare Advantage Medicare HMO will no longer be offered through the GBP. If you’re in KelseyCare Advantage, ERS will automatically enroll you (and any Medicare-eligible covered dependents) in HealthSelect MA PPO unless you make another choice by December 31, 2020.
Watch for your enrollment guide in the mail
As we do every year, ERS will send you a Fall Enrollment packet with information about your benefits, including details about the HealthSelect MA PPO transition to UnitedHealthcare. You also can visit the Fall Enrollment page on the ERS website to view a Fall Enrollment guide and find other information.
Benefits enrollment for retirees and survivors not yet eligible for Medicare ended in July. Any retiree or survivor can change their benefit elections within 31 days of a qualifying life event (QLE), or they can opt to reduce coverage at any time.
Get answers to your benefits questions
To help keep retirees safe during the COVID-19 pandemic, ERS will not host our traditional Fall Enrollment fairs. Instead, we invite you to connect with us through any of several Fall Enrollment webinars and phone-in information sessions. Plan administrators will be on hand to share updates and answer questions.
(Note: Presenters can address general questions; if you have a specific question about your account or a claim, call or email the plan’s customer service.)
Similar Summer Enrollment webinars drew thousands of attendees, with many saying they found the sessions helpful.
Never attended a webinar before?
Joining a Fall Enrollment webinar is easy; just follow these steps:
- Starting October 1, register for your selected webinar on the ERS events page.
- ERS will email you a confirmation with a “Join Webinar” link. Click the link a few minutes before the webinar start time. ERS sends the link in a few reminder emails, including one right before the session starts.)
- You will be connected to the webinar audio through your computer's microphone and speakers. Plugging headphones or ear buds into your computer’s headphone jack may make it easier to hear. Presenters will explain how you can type and submit questions using a questions box. Can’t join us for a live session? Presentations will be recorded and posted for you to view at your convenience. Access them by clicking the plan websites on the Fall Enrollment webpage.
Join “Get to know UnitedHealthcare” sessions in December
Join us again in December to learn more about HealthSelect MA PPO benefits, including popular lifestyle and wellness programs such as SilverSneakers. See details in your Fall Enrollment packet and sign up starting in November on the ERS events webpage