Employment changes for you and your spouse allow you to make changes to coverage.

Note: If you are retiring, please see the section on Retirement.

Your job changes

  • If you change jobs between state agencies, you can make changes to your insurance within 31 days of the event (active employee).
  • This also applies if your job changes in status from full- to part-time employment or vice versa (active employee).

Leave of absence

While on Leave of absence/leave without pay, you must pay for your health premiums directly to ERS by the due date each month to continue your benefits.

If you end your employment, you may be eligible to continue your coverage through COBRA. If your health coverage benefits are reduced or cancelled for non-payment of premiums, your coverage may be reinstated on the date you return to work.

Leaving state employment?

When you leave employment, you may be paid for your unused annual leave, if allowed by your employer. The lump sum you receive is considered taxable income. Texa$averSM 401(K) / 457 program participants can avoid taxes on the payment if you defer your annual leave lump sum payment into a Texa$aver account when you end state employment. Contact your HR department before your last day of employment to make these arrangements.

Most agencies submit leave information to ERS monthly. If your agency does not, your employer will need to complete the Certification of Leave Balances. Contact your HR department for details.

Your spouse loses job and insurance

  • This event allows you to make changes to your insurance within 31 days of the event.
  • You can add your spouse to your HealthSelect of Texas or health maintenance organization (HMO) insurance.