There are three steps to retirement. ERS members with retirement accounts can create a personalized retirement estimate (Step 1) at any time, even if they’re not planning to retire soon.
Retirement estimates are not available to retirees. IT is only available to members with ERS retirement accounts. The online estimator does not include information from a Qualified Domestic Relations Order (QDRO), service from systems participating in the Proportionate Retirement Program (PRP) or withdrawn service. Contact ERS to estimate your retirement payment and date if you have a QDRO, have PRP service or if you withdrew service and have not bought it back yet. For more information, visit the retirement and insurance eligibility page
Step 2 - Apply for retirement no earlier than 90 days before your planned retirement date.
You must speak with a retirement counselor to prepare your retirement packet. Before you call or meet with a counselor, make sure you know:
- retirement payment options,
- partial lump sum options (if applicable),
- beneficiary information (including name, date of birth, relationship and Social Security number),
- direct deposit information (routing and account number) and
- your tax withholding status.
Retirement counselors are available by phone or by scheduling an appointment at ERS offices
. After you talk to the counselor and making your selections, ERS will mail you a retirement packet.
Step 3 - To complete the retirement process, return your documents before your retirement date:
- Sign the Retirement Acceptance form in front of a notary public.
- If you’re married and have chosen someone other than your spouse as beneficiary for a survivor payment option, have your spouse sign the Retirement Acceptance in front of a notary public.
- Make a copy of your proof-of-age document. (Valid proof-of-age documents include birth certificate, passport, baptismal record, bible record or school record. Send a copy only. Do not send the original. If your name has changed or does not match the document, you must also send a copy of your valid state driver's license.)
- If applicable, make a copy of your beneficiary’s proof-of-age document.
- If applicable, complete the TRS Service Credit Transfer Request form.
- Complete the beneficiary designation form for the $5,000 Retiree Lump Sum Death Benefit.
- Mail all of the packet documents to ERS.