Follow these steps:
You can enroll in or make coverage changes to Optional or Dependent Term Life Insurance or enroll in TIPP online or by working with your benefits coordinator.
To enroll or make coverage changes online:
To enroll or make coverage changes working with your benefits coordinator:
- Log in to your ERS account from the sign in link at the top of the page.
- At the Member Home Page, click on the appropriate action under My Insurance Information. (If you need to add a new dependent to your ERS account, you can do it here.)
- Get a Benefits Election Form from your benefits coordinator.
- Fill it out completely, indicating what coverage you are applying for or changing, and sign it. Be sure to include your email address if you want to receive communications from Securian by email (which will include information and a link for submitting EOI online).
- Return it to your benefits coordinator. Your benefits coordinator will enter the information and indicate if you prefer to receive your EOI application by mail or email.
Securian will send you a letter or email (if they have your email address) with instructions for submitting EOI. You should receive the email within five business days; the letter will take longer.
Whether you receive a letter or email, you will be encouraged to submit your EOI application online. This process is faster and easier than mailing or faxing your completed EOI application. If you choose to mail or fax your EOI application, however, the letter also will include a paper application, and the email will include a number to call Securian to request a paper application.
Whether you choose to apply for EOI online or via mail/fax, the application you access online or receive in the mail should be pre-populated with your information. Answer EOI questions truthfully and thoroughly. The Employees Retirement System of Texas (ERS) vigorously enforces laws against participants who try to defraud the Texas Employees Group Benefits Program (GBP). Providing false answers on an EOI application for any GBP coverage is a violation of state insurance laws. You could have your coverage cancelled and be expelled from the GBP.
Review the EOI application to make sure you've left nothing blank. Missing information will slow down the processing of your application.
Submit your online EOI application as instructed on the form or website. Or, if you choose to submit a hard copy, mail it to the postal address or fax it to the number provided by Securian when they sent the paper application. If Minnesota Life does not receive the EOI application within 30 days, your coverage will remain at your current level and will not change. You can reapply for coverage during the next enrollment opportunity.
If you submit your EOI online, Securian's real-time underwriting response will let you know immediately if you have been approved or if further underwriting is required and what to expect next. If you send your application via mail or fax, you will hear from Securian within two weeks. Securian will notify you and ERS of the approval or denial of your Optional/Dependent Term Life Insurance and/or short- or long-term disability insurance. (Securian will not share your medical history information, which is confidential, with ERS.) ERS will enter your information into the system. If you've been approved, your coverage will start the first of the month after notification.
If you have any questions about the EOI process, please contact Securian
toll-free at (877) 494-1716. Representatives are available 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Central time, Monday - Friday.