Applying for Disability Retirement
You must meet each specific requirement for the types of disability retirements for which you apply:
- nonoccupational retirement,
- occupational retirement or
- Optional Retirement Program.
Applying for ERS Disability Retirement
You can download the disability retirement packet that contains the necessary forms to apply for disability retirement. You may also call ERS to request a disability retirement packet.
Mail all original, notarized forms to ERS before your requested retirement date. You must include your medical records related to your disabling condition from the past two years through the current date. ERS does not request medical records on your behalf from any doctor, doctor’s office, or other entity.
Please note the following:
- The retirement date cannot be a past date.
- The retirement date must be the last day of the month.
- The retirement date must be within 90 days of the current date.
- If approved, your payment may be permanently reduced. Please call ERS for a payment estimate.
- All required original, notarized forms and medical records must be received at ERS before your requested retirement date.
- Additional medical information or another Attending Physician Statements may be required after you submit all the initial required documents.
- If approved, health insurance may be subject to a 60-day waiting period.
You must remain permanently disabled to continue receiving benefits. ERS may ask you at any time to undergo a medical examination to determine if you are eligible to continue receiving disability retirement benefits. You must notify ERS immediately if you return to work.