Learn more about the benefits counseling position
This is a continuous job announcement and these are temp-to-hire positions. As a temp-to-hire, you will initially be employed by a temporary staffing agency to fulfill a work assignment at ERS.
To be considered for a temp-to-hire position with ERS, send your resume as a Word document with the subject line "ERS Benefits Counseling" to one of the following staffing agencies:
Who We Are
The Employees Retirement System of Texas (ERS) administers benefits for State of Texas employees, retirees and some employees of higher education institutions. These benefits, funded by participating members and the state, are an investment in the state workforce. More than 541,500 people rely on these benefits daily!
Benefits counseling is the front line in supporting ERS members as they navigate day-to-day decisions related to their benefits. We strive to provide supportive education and guidance to our members and their families as they move through all stages of life and career.
Who Are You
We are looking for friendly, caring people to work in our Benefits Counseling center, providing exemplary insurance and retirement benefits education, problem solving and guidance to ERS members over the phone.
To be successful as a Benefits Counselor, you will have a passion for serving people and be able to work both independently and collaboratively as a part of a supportive team.
Successful candidates will:
- Have a strong sense of self awareness
- Be adaptable
- Be problem solvers
- Have a proven track record of good judgement and decision making at work
- Be hungry for feedback and have a professional approach to implementing it
- Be able to successfully complete ERS Benefits Counselor training program
- Be interested in personal and professional growth
Starting Salary: $4,350 / month
Benefits Value: $1,428+ / month
- Defined Retirement Benefit Plan
- Optional 401(k) and 457 accounts
- Medical Insurance
- Optional Benefits such as dental, vision, and life insurance
- 8 hours sick leave per month
- 8 hours vacation per month with potential to earn more with longevity
- Additional paid time off (PTO) earning opportunities
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) services
In addition to the compensation and benefits package, the hours of operation in the ERS Benefits Counseling center are 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. This means no weekends or shift work! ERS closes for nine holidays throughout the year, including Thanksgiving Day and the day after, as well as Christmas Eve through the day after Christmas.
ERS employees enjoy free parking nearby, and we are within walking distance of many bus routes, other public transportation options, restaurants, downtown Austin events and iconic venues.
ERS Benefits Counseling is devoted to providing continuous learning and professional development.
What will you do
As a Benefits Counselor in Benefit Counseling, you will work in a fast-paced environment answering highly complex incoming inquiries through telephone calls, in person communications and email from Texas state employees and retirees with questions regarding health, dental, and life insurance benefits, retirement eligibility, and retirement or benefits problem resolution issues. Benefits Counselors educate employees and retirees and promote other ERS services that support members. You will work under the supervision of the Benefits Counseling leadership team with considerable latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
- Efficiently answers questions, educates and counsels ERS members about state employee benefits programs, including insurance and retirement, online tools and other ERS related matters.
- Communicates tactfully and provides information in a clear and concise manner. Adjusts communication style to assist customers who have varying levels of knowledge and experience.
- Uses sound decision-making and judgment skills and appropriately applies and interprets existing laws, pending legislation, rules, policies and procedures.
- Promotes ERS related tools, services, and programs.
- Provides exceptional service as defined by service delivery standards.
- Assists Benefits Counseling leadership with handling moderately complex member inquiries.
- Provides moderate training support to other Benefits Counseling personnel.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Minimum Qualifications
Graduation from an accredited senior high school or equivalent, plus 60 semester hours of college credit. Each year of related work experience over the minimum requirement may be substituted for one year (30 semester hours) of college credit.
- Three (3) years customer focused experience, identifying and resolving issues one-on-one with customers.
- Two (2) years of experience educating and/or counseling a wide variety of customers on complex laws and rules.
- One (1) year of qualifying experience with Windows-based computer software, including Microsoft Office, and internet browsers.
- Experience in human resources-related field, including health insurance, life insurance, disability insurance, retirement plans or other employee benefits.
- Professional development or college coursework from an accredited college in human resources, insurance, retirement plans or other employee benefits.
Successful completion of the ERS Benefit Counselor training program.
ERS operates in a hybrid work environment. Each week, some days are spent working at the ERS office and the rest working from home free of background noise and distractions. At times, ERS Benefits Counselor training program may require counselors to be in office full time before they begin working a hybrid schedule.
This position may require access to privileged, confidential or sensitive data. ERS will conduct either a TXDPS or an FBI criminal history check on all new hires. For more information about this policy inquires can be made to email@example.com.
Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) Codes
There is no Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) code for this job classification. Please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or for additional information.
Access Additional Military Crosswalk information specific to this posting at the State Auditor’s office link below. Compare the Class Number in the ERS job posting to the Class Code on the State Auditor’s Office listing of job descriptions. The Military Crosswalk appears under Occupational Category for each job description. https://hr.sao.texas.gov/CompensationSystem/JobDescriptions