Life Changes for Active Employees
When you experience a qualifying life event (QLE), you have the opportunity to add or change coverage for yourself or additional family members. The following QLEs will allow you to add and/or drop you, your spouse, and/or child(ren) to coverage within the first 31 days of the event.
- Children (age of child)
- Employment changes
- Moving (out of service area)
- Medicaid, HIPP and Chip
- Significant change in costs of health or day care
- Divorce / Court orders for health coverage
Timing is everything
If changes are not made within 31 days of the event, you will need to wait until the next enrollment period.
Note: Changes are effective the first of the month following your qualifying life event date with the exception of the birth of a child, adopting a child and gaining a medical support order (MSO) in which coverage takes effect as of the QLE date.
- Confirm that you have a qualifying life event (see above).
- Identify and use the correct reason for the change when making changes to your account.
- Complete a Dependent Child Certification Form if adding a dependent child.
- Note that changes are effective the first of the month following your qualifying life event date.