State of Texas Retirement for Active Employees
The State of Texas Retirement program is a defined benefit retirement plan for eligible employees of State of Texas agencies, with mandatory participation.Note: ERS does not administer retirement benefits for employees of higher education institutions, the Community Supervision and Corrections Department, or Windham School District. If you work for one of these entities, please see the Teacher Retirement System of Texas/Optional Retirement Program (TRS/ORP) page for information about your retirement benefits. Please see the Insurance Benefits in Retirement page for information about your insurance benefits as a retiree.
- monthly annuity for life, with an amount based on working salary, years of service and date of hire, and
- option for survivor benefits after retiree’s death.
Annuity options:When you retire with ERS, you will receive a lifetime monthly payment called an annuity. You may choose:
- the standard annuity,
- a partial lump sum and/or
- options that continue payments to your designated beneficiary after your death.
- Automatic enrollment for employees of State of Texas agencies , elected state officials and district attorneys in the first month of employment/office
- Automatic enrollment for certified peace officers in the Law Enforcement & Custodial Officers Supplemental Retirement Fund (LECOSRF), which provides an additional benefit at an additional cost
- Automatic enrollment for judges in the Judicial Retirement System 1 (JRS 1) or the Judicial Retirement System 2 (JRS 2), depending on date of office/appointment
- Eligibility for retirement annuity based on age, years of service and date of employment
How do I sign up?
- Automatic enrollment during first month of employment/office, with the first contribution deducted from the first paycheck.
- Three steps for applying for retirement, upon reaching eligibility for an annuity.
- Log in to your account
- Texa$aver plan comparison
- Planning Your Retirement
- Planning Your Retirement for CPOs/COs
- Tiered Retiree Insurance
- Disability Retirement
- Managing Your Annuity
- Purchase service credit (additional, withdrawn, military or waiting period)
- Regular agency employee overview page
- ERS Regular State Employee Retirement and Insurance Overview
- LECOSRF overview page
- ERS CPOs/COs Retirement and Insurance Overview
- Elected state official overview page (includes district and criminal attorneys that receive salaries from the state general revenue fund)
- Retirement Benefits for Elected State Officials booklet
- JRS overview page
- JRS Plan 2 Retirement Booklet
- Ready, Set, Retire! for Higher Education Institutions (handout)
- Ready, Set, Retire! for Higher Education Institutions (presentation)
- Ready, Set, Retire Regular Service Groups 1, 2 and 3 - Presentation
- Ready, Set, Retire! for CPOs and COs (presentation)
- Medicare Preparation (handout)
- Medicare Preparation presentation (pdf)
- Medicare Preparation presentation recording (video)
- Texa$aver℠ 401(k) / 457 Program (personal retirement savings to supplement your State of Texas Retirement income)
- Texa$aver eLearning Resources
- Frequently asked questions about retirement