HealthSelect of Texas for Retirees (not enrolled in Medicare)
HealthSelectSM of Texas for retirees is a network-based point-of-service plan administered by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas (BCBSTX). The plan includes a comprehensive prescription drug plan called the HealthSelect Prescription Drug Program, which is administered by OptumRx. You will receive two ID cards: one for medical and one for prescription drug benefits. Enrollment in this plan also includes $2,500 of Basic Term Life Insurance.
Plan benefits vary depending on whether your providers are in the HealthSelect network. It pays to stay in the network - using network providers can reduce your out-of-pocket costs.
- HealthSelect has a large network of more than 50,000 doctors and other providers.
- You need to select a primary care physician (PCP) to coordinate your care.
- There is no annual medical deductible if you stay in the HealthSelect network.
- You can elect to use non-network providers, but you will have higher out-of-pocket costs.
Benefits and wellness programs
- Preventive services provided by a network doctor – like annual check-ups and vaccinations – are covered at 100 percent.
- You are responsible for copayments and/or coinsurance for some doctor and hospital visits and other medical services, such as outpatient surgery and high-tech radiology.
- HealthSelect has a suite of wellness programs available to all participants.
- See the 2021 Master Benefits Plan Document for information about your Plan Year 2020 health plan benefits.
Eligibility and Enrollment
- Evidence of Insurability is never required to enroll in this plan.
- You can enroll when you have a qualifying life event (QLE) such as a marriage and coverage will begin on the first of the month following the event.
- You can enroll during Summer Enrollment and coverage will begin on September 1 of that year.