HealthSelect Secondary is available to Medicare eligible retirees and is administered by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas. It is available to Medicare-eligible retirees who opt out of HealthSelect Medicare Advantage (administered by Humana). It generally costs more than HealthSelect Medicare Advantage: The monthly premiums are higher for retirees whose premiums aren’t paid 100% by the state, dependents and survivors. In addition, there are more out-of-pocket costs. The plan includes a comprehensive prescription drug plan called HealthSelect Medicare Rx, which is administered by UnitedHealthcare.
When you become eligible for Medicare and enroll in Medicare Parts A and B, ERS will automatically enroll you in HealthSelect Medicare Advantage. You can choose to stay in HealthSelect of Texas, but your plan will change to secondary coverage (formerly called “out-of-area” coverage).
Enrollment in this plan also includes $2,500 of Basic Term Life Insurance.
Eligibility and Enrollment
- The plan is available to Medicare-eligible retirees and dependents. Evidence of insurability is never required to enroll in this plan.
- You can enroll in this plan at retirement (if you are eligible for Medicare when you retire).
- You can enroll in this plan when you become eligible for Medicare.
- You can also enroll when you have a qualifying life event (QLE) such as a marriage (when enrolling dependents) or divorce, and coverage will begin on the first of the month following the event.
- You can change from HealthSelect Medicare Advantage to HealthSelect Secondary at any time during the year.