Term Life Insurance for Active Employees
The Texas Employees Group Benefits Program (GBP) offers two types of life insurance for active employees: Basic Term Life Insurance and Optional Term Life Insurance.
- Every employee enrolled in a GBP health plan is automatically enrolled in Basic Term Life Insurance.
- Optional Term Life Insurance provides additional coverage, including AD&D coverage, up to four times your annual salary (Election 1, 2, 3 or 4).
- Basic Term Life Insurance pays $5,000 to your beneficiary in the event of your death and includes $5,000 of accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) coverage.
- Optional Term Life Insurance provides additional coverage, including AD&D coverage, up to four times your annual salary (Election 1, 2, 3 or 4). Maximum coverage is $400,000. The monthly premium is based on your coverage election, your salary and your age. Coverage begins to decrease when you reach age 70.
- All life insurance participants have access to Lifestyle Benefits, which are value-added services.
Eligibility and Enrollment
- Once you have enrolled in a health plan, you will get Basic Term Life. You don’t need to provide any additional information to get Basic Term Life Insurance.
- During your first 31 days of employment, you can enroll in Election 1 or 2 of Optional Term Life Insurance without evidence of insurability (EOI). After your first month on the job, you can apply with EOI during Summer Enrollment or with a qualifying life event (QLE). Election 3 or 4 always requires EOI.